Radio Surfing

5:25 PM Posted by GloryBug

Anywhere The Wind Blows, Doesn't Really Matter

I never bothered to get a CD player for my car. I've never seen the need. One less thing for people to steal.

That said, I treat the car radio like many people treat their channel changer on their TV. I jump, hop and skip.

Some of the songs I came across today while out doing chores and picking up the boys-

S&G "I am a Rock". This really has to be one of the saddest songs there is.
"I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me."
Sad.

And then there was Elton John and Kiki Dee (has anyone ever heard of Kiki Dee since?) and the duet "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart".
"Don't go breaking my heart
I couldn't if I tried
Honey if I get restless
Baby you're not that kind"

I got a kick out of imagining me and VvonV recording that duet. Just for cheesiness.

Moved on to Pink Floyd-
"So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?
Very short, very sad song. But one of those songs where it's completely linked to the album, in your head, to where when it's over, you expect the next song on the album to start- which doesn't happen on a radio station.

Then on to SuperTramp-
"So you think your schooling's phoney
I guess it's hard not to agree
You say it all depends on money
And who is in your family tree"

I do have to say that among all of the concerts I saw in my teens, SuperTramp has to be one of the very best. Their songs are 'crisp'. Stellar.

Then there was-

"Wake up Maggie, I think I got something to Say to You"..
In my mind, a perfect example of a solo/wank that works. Generally I hate solos, because they are usually just wank-a-thons with no redeeming purpose. But in this song, it's integral, and it just plain works. If it wasn't there, you'd miss it.

That's just a sampling of the songs I heard today. Thinking about it, it'd be kind of funny if VvonV and I recorded 'Muscrat Love', too. Cheese factor.

I would be remiss to not give this link to what I consider to be a genius song- Lake Marie
This one is close- Jupiter and Teardrop

0 comments:

Post a Comment