Economic Stress Causes Rape

2:00 PM Posted by GloryBug

According to the Fresno Bee, a Poor Paycheck Equals Rape

No joke. I wish I was kidding. The Fresno Bee has on it's front page a story about how rape is up 30 something percent, and they attribute it to 'economic stress'.

I have a problem with that. It implies that generally 'women-loving' men will turn to rape if they have to cinch their belt a little tighter. I like men. In fact, except for 3 in my whole life, almost all of my friends and lovers have been men. I cannot imagine any of them raping people because they were short of money.

I get that the Fresno Bee is hard up. All the conglomerate newspapers are now that people get most of their news on the internets. They've also scaled down it's size so that the paper is smaller than it used to be. And, obviously, they've cut down on reporting the news.

I understand that there are some very bad people in the world. Like most of the people 'in charge' of the USA.

Although I am a fairly girly-girl (and for those commenters who LOVE to use my real name as if it's insulting me, Colleen means 'girl' which I am really happy with, since I happen to be a girl), I have been accused at times (by men- go figure) as thinking too much like a man. Which I guess is because I genuinely like men. Not the stupid, crude, hormonal ones- the smart, critical thinking ones. They have their flaws, just like anyone else.

Maybe I've just always hung around with non-rapist kinds of guys? I don't know. What I do know is that none of the men I've ever known would rape people because of economic hardship. I don't think any guy I've known has ever been in the 'rapey' kind of mood. Yeah, they complain about not having any sex, but they are always wanting a relationship (even when they think they are saying they don't)that includes sex. Don't we all? They all shut up real quick once they get a girlfriend.

Are they all potential 'rapey' people? If the money doesn't roll in? I don't think so, and I think it is irresponsible and degrading to men that they had a front page article claiming just that. Yes, women get trashed on all the time, and degraded. But since I had my two boys, it opened my eyes about how often men get trashed about stuff that only a minority or their sex even commits. Essentially, in my book, men are good people. And my two boys are even better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment