Growing Followers

1:30 PM Posted by GloryBug

Growing followers- How often should you water them?

Maybe it's just me, but it's like nails on a chalkboard every time I read about someone 'growing' their business or their followers. Something about the syntax just bothers me.

That said, my newest website is in production, and I'm hoping it turns out well. I understand that some people want a hands-off turnkey website, but I know from my experience that those kind of websites turn me off.

From the research I've done regarding creating a website, I have now learned about and am painfully aware of when some website I surfed onto has 'canned' information. I know that my instinct was right, because on several occassions I have checked on the internet and found the exact same text on another site. Usually you can tell because it's horribly written, contains typographical errors, and usually makes no sense. I'm guessing it's because the owner hired some person to 'write' content for their site.

I worked as a copywriter for a couple of years in Santa Barbara, and yes, it can be boring. But I would never put my name on a piece of crap that made no sense. I worked as an editor for a number of years, and it was always obvious when someone was hired for personal reasons rather than their literary skills. I always hated having to edit the work of someone that the higher-ups wanted to sleep with, because their writing was always appalling. And it made more work for me.

So, whether anyone likes it or not- I write my own stuff. I'd like to make some money from it, but I certainly never want it to 'grow' my income. I prefer to 'grow' plants. Like tomatoes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment